Grove Academy YPI Final 2016
The first annual YPI Final was held on Wednesday 21stDecember with 8 groups making the final. The Youth Philanthropy Initiative is a programme designed for pupils to investigate social issues which affect their local community and those in it. Pupils then had to research a local charity that aims to try and tackle these social issues and create a presentation on the work they do in order to win a £3000 grant for the charity from the YPI Wood Group Foundation.
All S2 pupils were invited to attend the final to inspire them for their involvement in the project next year and there were a range of judges who represented every area of our school community; Graham Hutton (Head Teacher), Jamie Gibson (Senior Prefect and YPI Peer Supporter), Dawn Archibald (Chair of Grove Parent Council), Danny Webster (Education Manager Dundee City Council) and Blair Thomson (Northwood Charitable Trust).
The 8 Finalist groups represented 7 different charities and created a range of presentations that were all fantastic in their own way. They used a variety of methods including; video interviews, video animation, role play, posters and song. After a hard deliberation from the judges, the winning group of Alix Christie, Natasha Bell and Chloe Hann were announced triumphant in winning the £3000 for their charity The Willow Centre, Dundee Association for Mental Health.
Congratulations to all the other groups and their charities involved in the final as well as the standard was so high.
- Natanya, Samantha and Mellissa for The Brae Riding for the Disabled
- Tommy-Jay. Ellis and Gregor for Love Oliver
- Isaac, Shahan and Rory for The Food Train
- Anna, Anna, Jude and Lawry for Love Oliver
- Eleyse XXXx for Paediatrics Diabetes Education Fund
- Jessica, Grace, Mia-Belle and for Tayside Children with Cancer and Leukaemia
- Hannah, Jack, Holly and Jamie for Dundee Women’s Aid