The Origins of Grove Academy
The Education Act of 1872 introduced compulsory education and in 1883 the school leaving age was increased to 14. This required the Broughty Ferry School Board to provide education for an increased number of pupils beyond elementary level. Grove Academy became a Board School on 10th September 1889 after taking over a school established in the 1880s in a house situated at the north east corner of the present site. The original house called the 'Grove' had been a private school known as Mr Swan's Grove Seminary. In 1889 the school staff consisted of the headmaster Mr A Hutt, and his two assistant teachers. Mr Hutt was appointed headteacher in 1889 aged 24. He remained in post for 40 years until he retired in 1928.
By 1889 the school was too small and the 130 pupils could not fit into the original house. In November 1890 the first phase of Grove Academy was opened by the Earl of Strathmore. By 1897 the original house was demolished and a second wing built in its place. Until 1907 teachers taught all subjects, but after 1907 teachers taught specialised subjects. This inevitably required more teaching staff.
When the school leaving age was increased to 15 in the late 1930's Grove required more space. Seafield House was acquired to form Grove's extension building. Plans were also made to build again in 1939 but the war intervened and the new building was not opened until 1956.
Head Teacher's Logbook, 1962